In 1951 Franco Bertoni divided up between the races in motion aboard a MV Agusta and the management of the concessionaire Gilera by Varese, of which he was the owner. Given the great demand for motorcycles and mopeds often forced customers to long waits for delivery, he decided to produce his own motorcycle to be proposed as an alternative to the requested Gilera 125.
In a building that overlooked the courtyard of a villa Recalcati, now the home of the County, Bertoni opened a small shop and made agreements with the newly FBM for the provision of two-stroke propulsion 160 cc.
Thus the Bertoni Sports 160 that was proposed at the same price of the Gilera 125, gaining some success among customers who did not intend to wait long to take possession of their means of locomotion.
The first samples were delivered in early 1952 and the tiny shop Bertoni was able to produce 201 copies, until closure in 1954, relying on only three workers.
- Carlo Perelli and Giorgio Pozzi,Varesine in Villa - Motociclismo Historical- 8-9 / 1999, Edisport, Milan
Send what you have to: