Aintree race course
Aintree has also been used as a venue for motor racing. Built in 1954 as the "Goodwood of the North", hence the fact the two venues had so many things in common. The British Grand Prix was staged there on five occasions, in 1955, 1957, 1959, 1961 and 1962. In addition to the Grand Prix, the circuit also held 11 non-championship Formula 1 races, known as the Aintree 200, first won by Stirling Moss in 1954 with the last winner being Jack Brabham, in April 1964. Aintree was the location for the famous race in 1955 in which Stirling Moss won his first British Grand Prix, driving a Mercedes. Two years later, he and Tony Brooks (sharing the Vanwall) became the first British drivers to win both the British Grand Prix and a round of the Formula 1 World Championship, whilst driving a British car, a Vanwall. The 1957 Grand Prix also took the title of Grand Prix de Europe and was the premier Formula 1 event of the season, attracting 150 000 spectators. The full Grand Prix circuit was last raced on in 1964, but part of it (1.64mi Club Circuit) is still open and was used for racing until the early 1980s, having been maintained and operated by the Aintree Circuit Club since the mid 1960's. A limited amount of motor sport continues today in the form of car sprints, track days and motorcycle racing, the car events established by the Aintree Circuit Club. A Festival of Historic Motorsport was held in November 2004 and the Circuit Club are now negotiating with the Aintree Management to run another Festival in late 2007 to commemorate the 50th Anniversaries of the British successes of the '55 and '57 Grand Prix held at AIntree.
The only driver to have competed in both horse and motor race is Alfonso de Portago, who competed at the Grand National in his early days as well as in a sportscar race. He was to compete at the 1957 British Grand Prix only for that not to happen as he was killed in the Mille Miglia.