The 7.618 km (4.734 mi) course was designed by the Royal Automobile Club of Morocco and given a full blessing from Sultan Mohammed V. It took merely six weeks to construct. The site hosted a race in 1957, but it was a non-championship event. On 19 October 1958 the course was the venue for the 1958 Moroccan Grand Prix, the final round in the 1958 Formula One season. It was won by Stirling Moss driving a Vanwall, completing the 53 laps in 2h 09m 15.1s.
There was a terrible accident during the race, when the engine on the Vanwall of Stuart Lewis-Evans seized and the car spun and crashed. He was severely burned, dying in hospital in England six days later.