Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit
|Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit|
|Location||Phillip Island, Victoria (Australia)|
|Events||MotoGP, Superbike, V8 Supercar|
|Record driver||Simon Wills|
|Record team||Reynard 94D Formula 4000|
The first races on Phillip Island took place in 1926 with the first Australian Grand Prix, known as the 100mile race. It used, as was traditional at the time, a high speed rectangle of local closed-off public roads. The course length varied, with the car course approximately 6 miles per lap, to motorcycle racing of appx. 10 miles. The very first Grand Prix was known as the 100 Mile Race
As speeds grew, there was a need for a safe circuit. The original Phillip Island road circuit, based around the airfield, was a dusty trek up and down hills and through tough tight corners. It survived from the late 1920's to 1935.
In 1951, local businessmen decided to build a new track. This is around 2Km from the original circuit, but still bears the corner name signs of the original circuit. As the piece of available land was on the edge of the coast, the track is known for its step grades - the highest 57metres, which caused cost overs runs and delays in track opening. The track hosted its first race in 1956, but due to extensive damage from the 1962 Armstrong 500, the circuit could not afford repairs, and the race moves to Bathurst.
The circuit reopened in 1966, but again due to its testing terrain, the circuit required much maintenance, and slowly declined through the 1970's. It was farmed by its owners while closed, and was then sold in 1985 in preparation for reopening, but did not do so until 1989 after agreement on a long term lease and rebuild agreement. It hosted its first World Superbike race in 1990. Mathew Close won the first race in 1990 by 11.31 sec
Current circuits (2008)
Phillip Island •
Salt Lake City •
Brands Hatch •
Donington Park •