1956 Monaco Grand Prix
|XIV GRAND PRIX DE MONACO|
|Date||13 May 1956|
|Distance||100 laps, 314.500km|
|Weather||Warm, dry, sunny|
|Pole||Juan Manuel Fangio, 1:44.0|
|Fastest Lap||Juan Manuel Fangio, 1:44.4|
|Winner||Stirling Moss, 3:00:32.9|
|2nd Place||Collins / Fangio|
|3rd Place||Jean Behra|
The Owen’s B.R.M. made their first appearance but after qualifying both cars were withdrawn due to engine valve problems. The other two non-starters were also teammates: the too slow Scarlatti and Chiron due to his engine blowing up in practice.
Moss, starting from the middle of the front row, took the lead at Gasworks on the first lap and led every lap. Fangio was not having a good day. He hit the straw bails on lap 2, causing Schell and Musso to retire when trying to avoid him, and on lap 32 he hit the harbour wall, bending a rear wheel. He turned the car over to Castellotti after the pit stop to fix the wheel. On lap 54 while second, Collins came in the pit and turned his car over to Fangio. He resumed in third and passed Behra for second on lap 70 but he was 47 seconds behind Moss. On lap 86 Perdisa’s brakes locked when being lapped by Moss, the resulting contact caused Moss’ bonnet to lift allowing Fangio to close the gap by two seconds each lap but Moss won with a 6 second cushion.
|2||26||Peter Collins||Ferrari||100||+6.1 sec||9||3|
|Shr||26||Juan Manuel Fangio||Ferrari||4|
|3||30||Jean Behra||Maserati||99||+1 Lap||4||4|
|4||20||Juan Manuel Fangio||Ferrari||99||+1 Lap||1|
|5||6||Hernando da Silva Ramos||Gordini||93||+7 Laps||14||2|
|6||4||Élie Bayol||Gordini||88||+12 Laps||11|
|7||32||Cesare Perdisa||Maserati||86||+14 Laps||7|
|8||18||Horace Gould||Maserati||85||+15 Laps||16|
|Ret||16||-48 Harry Schell||Vanwall||2||Accident||5|
|WD||10||Mike Hawthorn||BRM||Engine Valve|
|WD||12||Tony Brooks||BRM||Engine Valve|
|WD||34||Louis Chiron||Maserati||Blown Engine|
- Pole position: Juan Manuel Fangio - 1:44.0
- Fastest Lap: Juan Manuel Fangio - 1:44.4
- Lap Leaders: Stirling Moss 100 laps (1-100)
- Shared Drives:
- Car #26: Peter Collins (54 laps) and Juan Manuel Fangio (46 laps). They shared the 6 points for second place.
- Car #20: Juan Manuel Fangio (40 laps) and Eugenio Castellotti (54 laps). Since Fangio received points for second, only Castellotti received the 1.5 points for the shared fourth.
- Car #4: Élie Bayol (44 laps) and André Pilette (44 laps).
- Grand Prix debut for: Tony Brooks and Giorgio Scarlatti.
- Last Grand Prix appearance for: Élie Bayol
- Career Firsts: Peter Collins and Hernando da Silva Ramos (points); Peter Collins (podium).
|Year of race||1956|
|Previous race in season||1956 Argentine Grand Prix|
|Next race in season||1956 Indianapolis 500|
|Previous year's race||1955 Monaco Grand Prix|
|Next year's race||1957 Monaco Grand Prix|