Legend car racing
Legend Car racing is a style of race cars. They are 5/8-scale replicas of American automobiles from the 1930s and 1940s once raced in the NASCAR modified division. The rule book committee for Legend car racing is called INEX.
The cars have very tight specifications to ensure cars are quite similar with each other. All cars utilize the same parts, engine, tires. The only variable (in theory) is the body style.
The Legend car was designed by Howard Augustan "Humpy" Wheeler and Elliott Forbes-Robinson. All Legend cars are manufactured by 600 Racing, which is based in Harrisburg, North Carolina. In April of 1992, the first Legend cars debuted at Lowes Motor Speedway in Charlotte, North Carolina. The designers determined that racers wanted an affordable race car.
- 73 in (1.85 m) wheelbase
- 60 in (1.52 m) width
- 10 ft 6 in (3.2 m) length with bumpers
- 46 in (1.17 m) height
- minimum weight of 1,300 lb (591 kg).
Legends raced at over 950 races at 300 different tracks in Canada, Mexico, England, Belgium, Australia, and at least 40 of 50 states in the United States by 1996. There were over 1,900 cars manufactured by 1996.
He series had a $4300 (U.S.D.) engine claim rule in 1996.
- Yamaha FJ 1200, XJR1200, or XJR1250 motorcycle engine
- compression ratio is 10:1 maximum
- power is approximately 122 hp (90 kW)
- Tires: 205/13-60 BF Goodrich Comp TA HR4 (Legends spec)
- Wheels: 7” wide, 13" diameter
- Suspension: Coil-Overs with Bilstein shocks
- Frame: Full tube frame with integral roll cage
- Safety: five point harness, fuel pump cut-off switch
Available body styles
- 34 Chevy Coupe
- 34 Ford Sedan
- 34 Ford Coupe
- 37 Chevy Sedan
- 37 Dodge Coupe
- 37 Ford Sedan
- 40 Ford Coupe
The cost of any style of legend car when it is brand new is approximately $13,000. Because the cars are required to be very similar, little money is spent upgrading the engine, which can easily overpower the required tires. The cost of maintenance is significantly less than midget cars and sprint cars.
- 600 Racing Inc. official site
INEX Legends group websites or Legends race tracks in the USA, Canada AND Europe:
- MICHIGAN: http://www.michiganlegends.com
- TEXAS: http://www.etxms.com/
- CALIFORNIA: http://www.legendsforce.com/
- ILLINOIS: http://www.speedwaylegendsracecars.com/
- MINNESOTA: http://www.greatnorthlegends.com/
- MISSOURI: http://www.dlra.net/index.htm
- PENNSYLVANIA: http://www.blacksracing.com/
- VIRGINIA: http://www.littleracecars.com/
Also in Virginia, www.austinlegends.com